July 22, 2007

The Sky Ride


The Sky Ride, originally uploaded by KSWeatherford.

This is another shot that I took at the Boardwalk last week. It's a silhouette of the people on the Sky Ride. Silhouettes are a pretty easy way to make a nice picture. They work well when the subject that you want to silhouette is backlit by a bright sky or sun.

I shot this in manual mode with a wide-open aperture (which was f/5.6 on this lens). I spot-metered off of the sky (then adjusted the shutter speed accordingly) so that it, rather than the Sky Riders, would be properly exposed. This resulted in a beautiful sky with lots of color and detail in the clouds but a pleasantly underexposed sky ride.

edit: Here are two more silhouette pictures from the Boardwalk.

This one is the Giant Dipper
The Giant Dipper at Sunset

And this one is the Hurricane
Hurricane

No comments: