
I went on a photowalk at Nisene Marks forest yesterday and took this picture of a weedy-looking plant that was just hanging out in the middle of the trail. I really like the way that the plant is in focus and the background has a nice "bokeh" or blur.
There are some color pictures of the same plant as well as other pictures from Nisene Marks on my Flickr page.
My feelings on black and white pictures are kind of torn.
On one hand I kind of dislike converting shots to black and white because it seems like the "easy way out." Let me explain. If someone takes a mediocre picture without great coloring or lighting, it can be converted into a better-than-mediocre black and white picture. I feel like a black and white picture carries a certain (possibly unearned) degree of legitimacy that a color picture may not. People look at black and white pictures and think that the photographer must be artistic, must be an angsty, tortured soul whose unfulfilling life can only be shown through black and white photography. In other words, people automatically assume that the photographer of a black and white picture is talented, in many cases an incorrect assumption.
On the other hand, converting a picture to black and white can, in many cases, make it more pleasing. Like I said before, if the colors are less than stunning but the focus, contrast, and overall composition of the shot are exceptional, then converting to black and white takes away the weak point of an otherwise nice shot: the colors.
I think that many black and white pictures are beautiful and artistic, but that people need to be more critical of black and white pictures and not automatically assume that they are taken by a borderline suicidal artist who is too talented for this world.
-Keenan


No comments:
Post a Comment