June 29, 2007

Little Harbor


Little Harbor, originally uploaded by KSWeatherford.

This is the view from our beautiful campsite at Catalina. Landscapes are something that I think are hard to photograph well. I think that it's difficult to photograph a landscape that looks as good to everyone else as it does to you, the person who experienced it. This picture looks great to me because I was there and I remember what it was really like, but I think that people who haven't seen it wouldn't be particularly moved by this photo.

I once read that the lighting and composition can make or break a landscape. I guess they can make or break any photo, but especially landscapes. This photo doesn't really have much of either. The lighting is just mid-day harsh light and the composition isn't anything to write home about, although I did manage to include those boats as well as some foreground, which helps out.

Regardless of whether or not this photo is a "great" landscape, I hope it conveys some of the sense of the beach paradise that I got to enjoy.

No comments: