May 09, 2007

Updated Mission Statement

I've stopped blogging recently due to a lack of inspiration, motivation, and time. I felt like I had very few readers and not much to say. I think that part of the reason that readers didn't show is because of the mixed content on my blog. It would be Apple one day, sports the next, then photography the next day. I think that's because of the different blogs that I read; they all inspire me in different ways to do different things.

I started with the intention of being a Mac blogger. It was during the MacHeist/iPhone craze and I was following tons of Mac blogs. I've become really bored and unimpressed with them. They weren't saying anything important/interesting at all, and I really don't want to fall down that path.

Sports is something that I can always write about, but there's just not much of an audience for that so I'll keep my sports analysis reserved for discussions with my friends.

"Pure photoblogging" (posting only a picture every few days, no text) also isn't really for me. I'm not a good enough photographer yet to keep people coming back solely for pictures. I also want to continue this blog to improve my writing skills.

I'm going to model this blog somewhat in imitation of Thomas Hawk's Digital Connection. He's a photographer based in Northern California with a great eye for interesting shots. He's definitely part of my photographic influence. In addition to posting pictures, he occasionally shares his opinion on various matters in a thoughtful, clear manner. However, while Mr. Hawk often posts "pure" photoblog posts, I'll try to accompany all of my pictures with a description of the shot at least.

I'm sorry if any of my readers followed this blog for the Mac content. I really wasn't feeling it anymore. I still am interested in the company and am a big fan, but I felt that I didn't need to add myself to the legions of bloggers who cover their every move.

I'm looking forward to heading down this new direction, and I hope the readers enjoy it.

-Keenan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how much of this sounds like me. I also wanted to have a 'mac blog' until I realized that the niche was already oversaturated with inane and unoriginal articles.

My blog doesn't really have a theme anymore. I just write about whatever strikes me at the moment. (And I don't write much lately, due to school, but hopefully now that summer is here I'll have more time.)

I think the most important thing is to be passionate, and to write things that you would like to read. Keep at it, man.

Something that I would like to read is how you got involved in photography and/or how you learned the technical aspects of taking digital pictures. Maybe links to some sites or a beginner's tutorial. I can't seem to get my ISOs and apertures and focal lengths straight. Just a thought.

-- Tyler