May 26, 2007

Which crop is best?


Original Shot, originally uploaded by KSWeatherford.

The picture above is the original shot that I took with minor color changes and no cropping. This is a pretty nice picture in and of itself but I like it better when it's cropped so the surfer fills the frame more and also follows the rule of thirds.

First crop

This is the first crop that I made. In this one it seems like the surfer has a little bit farther to trek. I also like the diagonal line of the cliff.

Second crop

This is the second crop. This one is a little bit more mysterious and tension-filled. It feels like the surfer is going to jump off the cliff right then and there.

So I'm curious; which do you prefer?



P.S. I have lots of good shots that I'm going to post from my expedition to Steamer's Lane, so I'll just keep them coming when there's nothing new. I have at least two more that I really want to show off, then four or five more good ones that I'll keep in reserve when I have nothing else to show.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the second crop more. The rocks are almost a bit distracting from the ocean. Did you try cropping it so the surfers on the left?

Anonymous said...

Your photographic fetish for surfers concerns me.

Keenan said...

@anonymous: Yeah I tried cropping it with the surfer on the left but I didn't like the way that the surfer was headed off the frame. I think it can be an effective compositional technique for a lot of pictures, but I just didn't like it for this one.

@mrjammin: There are plenty more to come, so get used to it.

Anonymous said...

First one. I like the rocks. For me, the second one doesn't have enough going on.